27 April 2008

And now for a food-related entry...

Tonight as I cooked dinner I had a stroke of rare genius, or luck, perhaps. I had a container in the freezer of some grilled pork loin for which I had to find some purpose or recipe. I had originally used a kitchen-sink marinade of soy sauce, apricot jam, and jerk sauce (literally things I wanted to get out of my refrigerator) and grilled it over charcoal, with no wood smoke. I sliced up the leftovers and froze them, not knowing what exactly I would do with them.

Tonight I improvised, tossed the frozen pork into a skillet, and then I added a can of crushed pineapple I found in the back of my pantry. I diced up a fresh jalapeno, and added a bit of dried ginger, a small amount of soy sauce, and a quick dash of Tabasco habanero sauce. Also from the back of the pantry, a handful of shredded coconut to enhance the Pacific flavours. I cooked it until the liquid thickened up nicely, and served it on a bed of Thai jasmine rice. I say "served it" but that would be misleading...Debra was more interested in rice with copious amounts of margarine, so I was the only one to partake. All in all, a nice little improvisation, and a good use of leftovers that I had feared were destined for the rubbish bin.

4 comments:

The Unabashed Blogger said...

I too had to mow the jungle of 69th St. It was a mess. I guess I need to get the 4 ft high pile of leaves out of the yard before winter?

I'll go half-ies on the herbicides...

Percussivity said...

Geez man get your comment under the right post!!

Hhhhhhhhh... see now you are just rubbing our (Gregory and I) noses in it. "This is what I was going to make you for dinner... had you actually been able to make it over."

OK that was the selfish part of me. So how's the wife? Feeling any better?

SQLFunkateer said...

Actually, no, I wasn't going to subject you to such a risky concoction of weird ingredients. Now, last night, that's when I ate what I was going to make for you guys. It almost deserves its own blog entry, but this blog should not become a foodie blog.

Anyway, I took 6 nicely sized jalapenos, cut off the stems and removed the core and seeds, and stuffed each one with as much sharp cheddar cheese as I could fit. Then I separated a pound of hot italian sausage into 6 portions, and wrapped each pepper with the sausage.

Then onto the smoker for three hours of 225 degree hickory smoke.

They were good, but good God they were hot! They are known as Armadillo Eggs. I was going to make some of them and a smoked meatloaf as well. The meatloaf is spicy, but not quite THAT spicy.

Percussivity said...

Damn you... I am hungry now.